"That’s not his name."
An Unearthly Child (episode 2 - The Cave of Skulls) - season 01 - 1963
Go ahead and request! It’s one of my all-time favourite episodes!
I listened to it a few months ago, by the way — see my checklist. :)
Quick sketch of
some dorks the Sixth Doctor and Flip Jackson.
Big Finish episode link: "The Fourth Wall"
The Corsair, a Time Lord and friend of the Doctor, from The Brilliant Book.
“When they made this particular hero, they didn’t give him a gun. They gave him a screwdriver to fix things. They didn’t give him a tank or a warship or an x-wing fighter—they gave him a box from which you can call for help. And they didn’t give him a superpower or pointy ears or a heat-ray—they gave him an extra HEART. They gave him two hearts! And that’s an extraordinary thing. There will never come a time when we don’t need a hero like the Doctor.”
― Steven Moffat
Big Finish Day loot!
- The Fifth Doctor box set: I love Johnny Morris stories. I love John Dorney stories. This was not a difficult decision.
- The Avengers, volume 2: the first box set was wonderful, and I’m really looking forward to hearing this second one.
- Dark Shadows: my boyfriend (who had never even heard of the show) insisted on buying these, since he’s a sucker for silly ghost story mysteries. I have no idea what they’re about, but it looks fun.
- The Scarifyers: did you know that Terry Molloy, David Warner and Nicholas Courtney were once supernatural gentleman detectives encountering David Benson and Brian Blessed? Yeah, neither did I. Until Terry Molloy pointed me to the stand (cleverly situated right across from his table) and told me to go buy some of this series. I resisted, my boyfriend caved (cf. “sucker for silly ghost story mysteries”).
- Devil In The Smoke: not technically Big Finish Day loot, since I got it at Forbidden Planet a few days earlier. A Paternoster gang story by Justin Richards. Sounds nice.
- The Picture Of Dorian Gray: scotthandcock (hi, you magnificent CD-selling bastard) basically made excited puppy eyes at everyone all day long until they bought all his CDs.
- Fly Me To The Moon: from the depths of the Big Finish £1 bargain bin, a… romantic comedy starring India Fisher and Sylvester McCoy. I don’t even know.
"Nothing to do with you surprises me anymore, Doctor!" –– Sergeant Benton
[okay, I promised myself that I would remain neutral while making these things, but can I just say that I adore Benton to bits?]
Sergeant Benton | Underappreciated Companions (7/22)
But there were stories that out there, wherever that was, there existed a shadowy half-man, simultaneously alive and dead, murderer and victim. No one knew what he looked like, except that he had only one arm – and no one could agree which one he had lost, or how it had happened. His name was Grandfather Paradox, and if you were naughty he would ﬁnd you and use you and destroy you, as part of his labyrinthine schemes against the Time Lords. The Doctor had taken the story very, very seriously as a child. For months, perhaps even years, afterwards he had worried that Grandfather Paradox was under his bed, or lurking beneath the table in the refectory, or making the noises he could hear outside at night.
– Lance Parkin, The Gallifrey Chronicles
Eight, this isn’t some kind of sadness competition.
"Try and be all nervous and rubbish and a bit shaky. Because you’re going to be like that anyway — might as well make it part of the plan and then it’ll feel on purpose.”
"Let me tell you about scared. Your heart is beating so hard I can feel it through your hands. There’s so much blood and oxygen pumping through your brain it’s like rocket fuel. Right now you could run faster and you can fight harder. You can jump higher than ever in your life and you are so alert it’s like you can slow down time. What’s wrong with scared? Scared is a superpower! Your superpower! There is danger in this room. And guess what? It’s you.”
"I’ve seen entire species destroyed, civilizations left in ruins. I’ve witnessed solar systems vanish in the twinkling of an eye. I’ve seen things that would freeze your blood… So don’t threaten me, don’t ever threaten me. My real fear is the things I don’t enjoy. The things I’ve seen and never want to see again. Now, entity, what can I show you… let’s start with evil from the dawn of time, and go on from there, shall we? I wouldn’t make these things up — I couldn’t! I saw them all! Well, evil from the past is one thing. But I have seen the future, too… wouldn’t you like to see what’s coming? It scares the living daylights out of me. I wonder what it’ll do to you. Oh, no, wait-wait-wait! There’s worse than that! There are the things that I am afraid I might do one day.”
"Do whatever you have to. Push your fingers, say a prayer, think of a basket of kittens. But do not give in to the fear.”
"Courage isn’t just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway.”
"…If you’re going to sit there wallowing in self-pity, I’ll bite your nose.”